View Sidebar
Despairing at the state of Welsh media

Despairing at the state of Welsh media

When it happened the first time, I shrugged. The second time, I was amazed. The third time, I’m now just shaking my head at the sheer stupidity and insularity of some of the people who work in Welsh media.

First, there was Lowri Turner writing for Wales’ national newspaper on why gay people shouldn’t run the country.

What she says is bad enough, but then you have to query what on earth Ms. Turner is doing writing for Wales’ national newspaper in the first place. She’s a fashion journalist so it’s obviously not for political gravitas. She was born and bred in London, so by most definitions I wouldn’t say that she’s Welsh. So what on earth is she doing writing for them in the first place? It’d be like having professional Scotswoman Edith Bowman commenting on political issues for The Times.

Secondly, students. Bloody students. Specifically, the student editor of Cardiff’s student newspaper who took the brave decision to be the first UK publication to publish the very controversial Mohammed images. At quite possibly the biggest university in Wales. On a campus teeming with students from all walks of life. Including Muslims. In a city that has the biggest and oldest concentration of Muslim people in Wales. Leaving aside the issues of freedom of speech vs responsibility, it’s not a very sensible decision to make – even fellow student newspapers say so.

Thirdly, church newspaper editors. To illustrate a Welsh-language article about the shared ancestry of Christianity, Islam and Judaism from the Church of Wales, they again included one of the controversial Mohammed images. Resulting in the recall of 500 prints. Whoops.

Sadly, this time around, I’m less amazed than bemused. Familiarity breeds contempt.

5 Comments

• Hmmm… A bit of pot an kettle there me thinks. I distinctly remember someone publishing the bombhead mohammed on this site until they shit-a-brick and took it down. šŸ˜‰

And a London presenter, a student magazine and a 500 print-run religious paper hardly constitutes the norm of the Welsh media. That norm is beset by many more interesting mores and prejudicies than mentioned here. šŸ˜‰

• When I put up the image for 4 hours, I didn't realise just how bad it would get, and how offensive some would find it. Besides, I put it up more as an example as opposed to sticking two fingers up at anybody.

And if I went around listing every stereotyped annoyance about other forms of media, I'd be here all day. The scope of that post was on Welsh media, not London media or any other kind of media. šŸ˜›

• The first is an example of the inherent predjudice in the non-metropolitan parts of the country.

The second is an example of the arrogance of the metropolitan parts of the country.

The thirds is just an example of idiocy: there is evidence of that across all these islands.

• #1 – The article was presumably authored by Lowri where she lives, in London. So you can't argue that she was in a non-metropolitian part of the country.

• According to the BBC website:

The drawing – which was from the French magazine France Soir – shows the Prophet Muhammad sitting on a heavenly cloud with Buddha, and Christian and Jewish deities.

He is being told "don't complain… we've all been caricatured here".

Not exactly the same as the Danish one with a bomb shaped turban which was obviously intended to offend, but still a bit daft seeing as Muslims are a tad sensitive to drawings of Muhammad.