Just saw the second episode of Doctor Who 2005, End of the World. And wow. Observations (and spoilers):
– much wittier than I expected – the jukebox one-liner was fantastic. Interesting choices for music too – the “original” version of Tainted Love, and Toxic. But no R.E.M. ?!
– quite a few body fluid humour gags. Very Russell T. Davies.
– National Trust. Great one-liner.
– you have a character that’s a tree, and you’re not doing puns galore? We were.
– Possibly the first time the word “prostitute” is used in Doctor Who.
– 1989, a character gets melted by the sun and we see it in all its gory make-up glory. Quite realistic I thought. 2005, a character gets melted by the sun and it’s left to our imagination. A bit of a shame, in a way.
– the Repeated Meme. Fantastic name.
– “Talk to the Face! Talk to the Face!” — dearie me! 😉
– the Last Human ™ turns out to be a racist bigot. Again, very RTD. Her scheme has a few major plotholes, mind. Not least of which, how would she get money out of it all?
– Visual FX. Top notch.
– The Ninth Doctor (although he hasn’t been mentioned as such on TV so far) is remarkably callous. and emotional.
– The Doctor is the Last of the Time Lords? When did that happen? How?
– I really have to stop tears forming in my eye over the last minute of Doctor Who. I’m 31 for goodness’ sake.