My random thoughts on the latest incredibly dark episode of Doctor Who: Turn Left…
– The TARDIS lands on a Chinese-esque planet, which is actually shot in Splott, Cardiff. Look at all those Chinese extras. I COULD HAVE BEEN A DOCTOR WHO EXTRA! (*wails at sky*)
– Although since it’s a Chinese-esque fortune teller who’s responsible for the parallel universe, it’s time to look again at the current trend in New Doctor Who to be somewhat stereotypical towards the Chinese and Japanese.
– Turn Left: Chinese-esque fortune teller responsible for the alternative universe
– Utopia: Chinese-esque insectoid alien with distinctly stereotyped-Japanese speech and thought mannerisms
– Gridlock: Giggly Japanese schoolgirls in van
– Army of Ghosts: Again, giggly Japanese schoolgirls
– Nice to see that even with all the advances in modern tech and make-up, BBC Television still can’t do a realistic beetle
– So many 1980s-esque horror images, from the mushroom cloud to internment camps.
– Verily dark – especially after last week’s episode. How are kids still watching after this ?!
– A bit worrying for RTD to resort to multiple references to previous episodes – great for fans, but for the casual viewer?