View Sidebar
The Virginia Tech killer…

The Virginia Tech killer…

I love the way the campus cops dismiss the first shooting of two people in a dormitory as a “domestic” issue and seemingly ignore it. I’m not saying that there was no other way to react given the facts the police knew at the time, but how can two people being shot dead in their own home be regarded as a mere domestic issue?

It may also interest Americans to know that UK news coverage has universally concentrated on the gun-control argument, with a definitive incredulous strain of “Time and again this has happened, and no gun control laws. Are these people craaaaazy?”

The thought occurs that the killer Cho Seung-hui can’t have been that bright. He rails against the “debauchery” on campus – and where does he carry out most of his killings? The engineering block. Unless engineering students have radically changed in the last twenty years, I don’t think they have a reputation for debauchery. And Cho studied English, not engineering – so presumably he had very little contact with the engineering department. Plus English students probably have a better reputation for that sort of thing …

Also, Margaret Cho (a Korean-American comedienne) reports that the Korean community keeps being asked about it. But I haven’t seen any mention of that on any news or blog reports over here… anyone got more on that aspect?

I’ve got one joke on the topic that’s definitely racist, and very possibly insensitive and just plain wrong. So I won’t repeat it here…